Sunday, June 21, 2015

Test Taking Strategies

I have never felt like I was a bad test taker; I usually feel confident going into tests. This is because I take detailed notes, do required homework, and study accordingly. However, I know this is not always the case, and I should expect test anxiety among my future students. Test anxiety makes it tough for students to focus on a test because they're minds are full of worry about the material. It is important to instill in my students test taking tips. Anita Woolfolk talks about some simple and effective strategies to use in podcast #14.



Before the test:

  • Attend class, do the readings, and complete the assignments; especially attend the classes right before the test in case there are hints about the test.
  • Pay attention during review sessions - take notes and ask questions about the content of the test
  • Create your own review sheet with the major concepts
  • Prepare at home - get a good night's sleep, set an alarm and a back-up alarm, eat a good breakfast
During the test:
  • Keep a positive attitude, avoid telling yourself you aren't going to do well
  • Use your time wisely - look over the test before you start, look for questions with higher point values, don't dwell on a question you can't remember, use the whole testing time
  • Ask for clarification if you need one
  • Avoid leaving blanks - if you are unsure, guess; don't leave essays blank
  • Read the whole question
  • Don't make questions harder then they are; often your first instinct is the right answer
  • ALWAYS be sure to double check for your name
After test:
  • Double check the teacher's grading - everyone makes mistakes
  • Analyze questions you got wrong - maybe you are making the same mistake that can easily be corrected
  • Make notes on the test if the teacher reviews it
  • Ask the teacher for extra credit or a make-up exam
  • Save the test to study from later
Some these strategies may only be useful for older students, but many of them are applicable no matter the age. As a teacher, I can also remember some of these tips and use them in my classroom. For example, I can provide students with my own study sheet highlighting the important concepts that will be on a test. I can instill a positive attitude in my class by encouraging them and saying I know they will do well. I can also take time to review with my students, and allow them to know the format of the test. In my future classroom, these are definitely ideas I will practice to help students cope with test anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment